Below is a sample of the type of questions you should be asking on residency interviews.
Questions for Interviewers
- What are the greatests strengths of your program? (weaknesses will be usually volunteered by the interviewer when you ask about the strengths)
- OR experience?
- Clinic experience?
- Research experience - how does your project get chosen?
- Where does the research funding come from?
- What major changes do you see in the foreseeable future?
- What changes have occurred recently?
- Any people retiring (e.g. department chair) or likely to leave (e.g. junior faculty)?
- Where do most graduates end up?
- Laparoscopic and Robotic experience for the residents?
- Open experience?
- Pediatric experience?
- Is there a formal resident education syllabus?
- How do the residents fare in terms of case numbers?
- What is the clinic experience like?
- Do residents present at regional or national meetings?
Questions for Residents
- Why did you decide to come to this program?
- What other programs were you considering when you were applying?
- Strengths of the program? Weaknesses of the program?
- Faculty contact?
- Floor responsibilities?
- Typical daily census?
- How's the ancillary staff?
- OR experience - i.e. how much of the case they get to do, are cases distributed equally all years, or are most significant cases done by seniors/chiefs?
- Laparoscopy-numbers of cases?
- Chief year-responsibilities/OR privileges?
- Research requirements and opportunities?
- Program's general emphasis on research?
- Clinic time, organization, and demographics ?
- Number of hospitals, distribution of residents, travel time between hospitals?
- Academic vs. private emphasis?
- What did most recent graduates do?
- Computer system, ordering system?
- Hours, call schedule, back up vs. 1st call?
- Effect of 80-hour workweek?
- Time on general surgery-how are they treated, how hard/interesting is it, are the rotations tailored to what the residents want, quality of the training?
- Social life-do the residents go out much, are they mostly married/single?
- Housing - where do residents live?
- What's the scoop on the other programs in town?
Go to Residency Guide
Go to "Interviews" section within the Residency Guide